The Penrose brothers' founding vision "to create the finest quality crystal for drinking vessels and objects of beauty for the home" is carried on today. Over 200 years later, Waterford is just as committed to the purity of color, design excellence and art of crystal cutting as its early predecessors. The traditional cutting patterns made famous by the artisans of Waterford continue to offer inspiration for new designs. And as always, each piece of Waterford crystal is graced with the word "Waterford" on its base, a name synonymous with exceptional quality.
In 1783, two brothers, George and William Penrose, started a crystal manufacturing business in the busy port of Waterford, Ireland. They produced crystal with such a purity of color, it was unmatched in Ireland or England. The Waterford crystal pieces were exported to Spain, the West Indies, New York, New England and Newfoundland, where they were held in high esteem. However, less than 100 years later, the Waterford factory closed its doors due to excessive taxation and lack of capital. It wasn't until 1947, when another glass factory was set up in Waterford just a few miles from the original one, that Waterford claimed its rightful place in the world of fine crystal and revived its reputation for unsurpassed beauty and quality.