Here are some simple tips on jewelry maintenance that won't take much of your time. By following these simple rules, you can ensure keeping your favorite pieces around for the long haul.
1. Clean your pearls: Have your pearls seemed a little lackluster lately? This may be from a buildup of perfume, hairspray, cosmetics, or other beauty products. Pearls are very delicate, so these products can certainly do a number on them. However, there is an easy fix: after wear, use a soft cloth to wipe each pearl clean. This is a surefire way to restore shine and shimmer to each and every one.
2. Keep away from cosmetics. Reserve putting your jewelry on until after you're done with makeup and perfume. You can unknowingly damage your gems if these products get on them.
3. Be careful with clothing. Has your jewelry collection ever suffered casualties from your clothing? Make sure jewelry is the last thing you put on and the first thing you take off. This will help you avoid snagging jewelry on clothing, which can result in damaging one or both items.
4. Keep a photo collection of your favorites. We all have at least one valuable piece of jewelry in our collections. Make sure you photograph these pieces in the unfortunate case that they are lost or stolen, as jewelry is very unique and hard to describe. Photos will be worth way more than descriptions in insurance claims or police reports.
5. Protect from harsh conditions. A valuable tip to know is that extreme temperatures can do harm to your jewelry.Gemstones can be weakened when you walk out of the cold outdoors into the warm indoors. Try to avoid wearing delicate jewelry on especially frigid days or cover your rings and earrings with gloves and hats. Just be careful not to snag your jewelry on them.
6. Keep them out of the pool. Before you go in for a dip, make sure to remove your jewelry and store it safely away. Chlorine and salt can cause corrosion or damage to metal and gemstones of all kinds.