1. Start by cutting the dress in half along the waist seam. You’ll need to unzip the dress all the way down so that the zipper part doesn’t get cut off, you’re going to need that to get in and out of the dress. I also made sure to cut just above the waist seam (rather than below it) so I could turn that edge over and keep the seam for structure.
Stay tuned for what we’re going to do to the top half!
2. Roll the top edge over and sew it down by hand. I used an invisible stitch, where you make long stitches at the back and tiny ones ones at the front.
3. Once you have sewn all the way around make sure to sew the edges of the zip down so the zip doesn’t come off.
4. I cut the belt in half, removed the buckle and then sewed the straps on.
5. Voila! Make sure you iron really well to better hide the stitches.
I like that it’s really simple, and great to dress up with minimalist accessories. If you would like to have more definition at the waist (the type of dress I are more inclined to wear) you can simply add a belt to cinch in waist.