In pearl industry, only pearls of natural black color and from Pinctada margaritifera, Pinctada mazatlanica or Pteria sterna (rainbow-lipped oyster) can be called black pearls.
Among those oysters, Pincatada margaritifera is used extensively for culturing pearl in French Polynesia. That is the pearl called Tahitian pearl.
Some people use the term Ã¢â‚¬Å“black pearlÃ¢â‚¬Â to refer to any dark colored pearl, dyed or natural color. In this part of natural back pearl, we will discuss Tahitian pearl as it is a distinguished type of real natural black pearls.
Luster and Nacre
Tahitian pearls luster is one kind of metallic shine. Judge luster in Luster and Nacre and better luster make Tahitian pearl more valuable.
Just like South Sea pearls, the thickness of Tahitian pearls should be at least 1mm of the radius. Any black pearl which's nacre is thinner than 1mm can not be called as Tahitian pearl. Too thin nacre will decrease the durability of black pearls.
Tahitian pearl are very precious. Every year, those perfect and high luster Tahitian pearls are sold in pearl auction. The surfaces imperfections make Tahitian pearl more affordable. When choosing a Tahitian pearl, you can consider pearls with some flaws or blemishes on a certain side. When they are made to jewelry, the blemishes can be perfectly covered with the post or mounting set.
Tahiti cultured pearl farmers generally use four ratings for surface quality: A, B, C and D.
Top gem: Flawless pearl, excellent luster .
Quality A: 90% flaw-free surface. On the remained 10%, the pearl may have some slight concentrated imperfections with one or two deep imperfections tolerated. At least a very high luster .
Quality B: 70% flaw-free surface. On the remaining 30%, the pearl may have some slight concentrated imperfections with one or two deep imperfections tolarated. At least a high luster.
Quality C: 40% flaw-free surface. On the remaining 60%, the pearl may have some slight concentrated imperfections with a 10% of deep imperfections tolerated. At least a medium luster.
Quality D: Pearl has either a large amount of slight flaws distributed over 60% of the surface, or several slight and deep flaws distributed over 60% of the surface at the most, regardless of the luster.
Tahitian pearls aren't all black. In fact, they are much colorful than you think. They can be gray, green, blue, lavender, brown, black and with iridescence, they look like peacock leather. To simulate the unique precious Tahitian pearl, there are many dyed or treated black pearls appear on the market. Identify the real or treated one with our pearl Dyeing test to protect your benefit from unfaithful trade. below is the Tahitian peal color collection:
The prices of Tahitian pearls go from high to low as below:Round- off round- drop- button- circled- baroque
Tahitian pearl can grow to 9mm to 22mm of diameter. Size has great impact of price.
In Pearl buying Guide, Renee, Newman state the price jump of 1 mm increasing in the size of medium-quality pearls can raise their price 100 - 200%.